Friday, July 8, 2011

Sewing Bargains in Bulk

Remember I mentioned how enjoyable and useful hobbies are. I sew a great deal and I have since I was a child. One day I went to a “sale”. An individual was selling fabric in her garage sale. I looked about and told her I wanted to purchase the plaid flannel. “How much of it do you want?”

After hearing the price, which was reasonable, I told her I wanted to buy the whole bolt. “Why?” she asked.

Because I just decided to make robes for all the men in my family and then give them as Christmas gifts. That included one husband, three sons, and one son-in-law. And that is what I did. Robes are very easy to make. No buttons and now handwork. Each robe cost me about ten dollars to make. And they were greatly loved and I see some of the relatives still wearing the robes.

Another time when we visited England I found some white linen at a very good price. I bought the whole bolt, which was much cheaper there than in the states. I knew in advance how much I needed because I had already measured my patio doors. When I returned I made simple linen panels that attached to the rod with grograin ribbon. The panels were copies of some curtains I saw from a well-known department store, but mine were much cheaper.

These are stories of bargains which resulted in little work but much pleasure. Hopefully you will get the idea and the desire to do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment