Sunday, March 6, 2011

Creativity

Be Creative

One day my son said, “I am going to go to the Pet Store to buy a collar for my dog.
“Wait,” I said. I ran to my closet and took out an old belt and gave it to my son. He shortened it, put holes in it and then buckled it on the neck of his dog.

You don’t have to buy everything. You can sometimes make do with what you have. I made my own pads for my babies. I took several layers of cotton and hemmed them and then quilted them. My babies had new pads. I also made them tiny drooling bibs so that I wouldn’t have to change their clothes so often when they were teething and drooling particularly in cold Amarillo, Texas. I used corduroy to make the bibs a little bit thicker. Then when the baby drooled and the bib was wet, I replaced the wet bib with a dry one.

Hobbies of all sorts allow you to make and then give very nice gifts, some of which you can’t find in the store. For example, I knit a hat that looks like a strawberry, and that is a favorite baby shower gift. Where can I buy that?...is a common question upon seeing the strawberry hat.

Gardening is another hobby that allows you to grow a plant or vegetables and give them away as gift. Who does not appreciate fresh lettuce or a fern you have grown from a sprig of a fern.

I’ve also made booties, scarves, aprons, and other things. I have fun and the recipients seem happy. Not only that but folks look forward to receiving some gifts from folks they know are good with a particular craft.

Just think about what you can do, and then do it.

More later…

No comments:

Post a Comment